May 08, 2008

broken routine

I wasn't sure how today was going to shape up. The "check engine" light had been glowing ominously on my dashboard for a couple of days, and last night I started to smell something burning... Not to mention that for months I've experienced a hesitation then giant thud half the time I came to a stop. Knowledgable friends kept mentioning a dirty, expensive word that starts with a "t" and rhymes with "Dan's Mission".

I tried holding out until next Friday, when my paycheck would come galloping in on a white horse, complete with my accumulated overtime and, coincedently, on the same day as my tax stimulus check. I figured for twenty-four hours I would feel wealthy before I started slicing it up and dishing it out to car repairs and greedy dear-aunt-Sallie-Mae. However, I didn't feel comfortable chancing another breakdown on the freeway. So today was the day to at least find out what my options were.

I tried to remain focused on getting dressed and finding a mechanic, ignoring the black cloud looming (cliche, i know- but accurate). Sophia's co-worker suggested a place near their office, so I called to see how much their estimates cost (i searched the phone book all morning... does anyone else remember the days of free estimates, or am I imagining them? And why, pray tell, does it cost almost a hundred dollars to let a computer "diagnose" a problem??). When the man on the phone said, "Well, we'll check it and see. It could be something simple like a gas cap, and we wouldn't charge to fix something simple like that."

I told him I'd be right there.

The set up was pretty simple... basically just a big 'ol garage. And as I sat in the lawn chair just outside the door reading my book ( "Jesus for President"- Shane Claiborne), I heard the music the mechanics were playing as they worked. "Open the Eyes of my Heart"- I couldn't believe it. The playlist continued with other praise and worship tunes.... rock on.

Wonder of all wonders- the check engine light WAS due to the gas cap. Done. Fixed. But what about the thud? Well, turns out I needed new rear breaks- it was causing the back wheel to lock up. That might take awhile, but was going to cost $110.... an interesting total- the exact amount of the check I wrote Sophia as a payment for the car repairs I'd already charged to her credit card. A check she still hadn't cashed after a week. So I basically already had the money put aside to pay for today's repair! (And Soph can cash the check next week)

However, I was not about to sit in that lawn chair for hours while they fixed it, good music or not. So i started walking.... I browsed KMart and used their restroom while I chatted with my sister, Becca. I stopped by the pet store for a few minutes until I couldn't take the heartbreak of puppies confined to small, clear plastic bins with newspaper floors, or kittens with big blue eyes in metal cages rushing over to extend their tiny paws to me. (Oh, i hate pet shops. Overpriced, not a healthy living environment, and with all the existing pets in shelters.... and seriously, how many of them will be killed when no one buys them??). I walked to the Covina Tasty (it used to be a Tastee Freeze until the franchise discovered they were serving vegetarian items) and got one of the most awesome smoothies I've ever had (all fruit! No ice or added sugar!). I visited a scrapbook shop but got bored after a minute because it's really only paper and stickers... Checked out a small thrift shop that was disappointing not only for it's minimal selection, but the overwhelming smell of grandma (please note- not all grandma's smell like this.... mine doesn't. But it's the first word that comes to mind). Sophia took her lunch break from work and picked me up. We went to a small Mexican place I'd never tried. Lunch was tasty fish tacos and jamaica.

After all that, my car was done! It's as good as new! And my boss suggested that I not worry about coming back to work for a few short hours just to sit in traffic... so i've had a day of beautiful weather and reading books and not being scheduled..... and it's been kind of nice.

However, i'm starting to feel the anxiety of not being more productive. Sophia's almost off work and there's work to be done preparing for tomorrow's big Cali-grandparent birthday bash. We have to do some shopping, and after reading my friend, Cherith's, bulletin post about how we trash our environment, I never want to use a plastic bag ever again.

0 thoughts: