July 28, 2008

make it matter

Coming back from a weekend of spending too much money, exercising too little, watching too much tv, and eating too much junk food leaves one less than prepared for a Monday.


Particularly when one wakes up with back spasms.


I am not fifty years old!! This is not fair!! But if my week of being sick wasn't signal enough from my body that I am not living well, maybe this would get my attention. It seems my muscles are protesting to their eight-hour confinement to this desk chair, then freedom only to sit in the car for another hour (and the hour on the way here in the mornings must only serve as a "warm up" for marathon sitting). It seems that my job is making me sick. Literally.


Funny that this occurs during my week of analyzing my time management. So what's a girl to do?


I pray. I pray that God guides me and opens doors, because the job search only left me worn out and at square one. I'm really out of answers, but open to any possibilities. Maybe i'll start searching again, but part of me already feels defeated. Then again, maybe i'm just cranky because i'm hurting and still in the chair of death.


Regardless, we move forward. It's week two of the "Every Monday Matters" challenge. I think i'm a bit disappointed that no one wanted to join the challenge with me. I thought it could be fun if a group of us did it together. So the offer still stands.


This week: Turn Off Your TV
Did you know a person watches television for an average of 40 days a year? And kids spend about 1,023 hours a year watching television, compared to 900 hours of school, and 33.4 hours having meaningful conversation with their parents. What about you? Can you add up your hours spent watching tv?


Time for action. Step one is turn off the tv.... for the whole week. Actually, this comes at a good time, since it's summer and there's nothing new on anyway.


Instead, use the time to make a list of alternative activities. My list includes reading, taking a walk or some other active thing, playing my guitar, writing, working on drama ministry or kids kingdom or whatever else is on the "to do" list. Haha, though i suppose transferring your television time to time spent on the computer is counter-productive.


Prepare for the end of the week- don't return to bad habits! Remove televisions from the bedroom or kitchen. Designate specific tv time so you reduce viewing hours. Avoid using television time as a reward (hehe, the book says this "increases its power" which made me laugh). Also, be more selective about what programs you watch.


I guess I will start a list of "approved" programs and only watch them. This should naturally and indirectly restrict my hours. The shows shall be:

- The Office

- Desperate Housewives

- The Simpsons

- anything educational

- movies without commercials (otherwise do something in between)


So no tv this week... stay tuned for my blogged results... and dare to try it with me!! I know some of you have already, so i'd love to hear how that went for you. Discussion, people! Don't make me go it alone!

0 thoughts: