November 25, 2008

Do you love me like I love you?

Almost Thanksgiving... which means everyone starts blogging about the things for which they are thankful. Sadly, I'm not in the mood to write that kind of entry. It's not that I'm not thankful- I am. In fact, such a list would probably grow sappy with thankfulness. And it's the sappy that I'm not.

There's a trend on my dad's side of the family. When babies were born, they received a family name and a biblical name. I don't know if our parents planned this, but that's how it worked out. And that's how Joshua, Andrew, Sarah, Bethany, Rebecca, Daniel, and (Claudia) Abigail came to be. I ended up with Malinda- the family name- but instead of the traditional scripture-inspired middle name, I was handed a name to share with a third of the girls born in the eighties- Renee (the other two-thirds got "Lynn" or "Marie"). As a child, i felt branded as the only pagan among my holier cousins. To my mother's credit, I have always liked my first name. And now I know that the combined meaning is "gently reborn"- pretty fitting for a girl whose life is a constant growing journey with the Lord instead of a dramatic conversion story.

But i guess that I just turned sappy.

0 thoughts: