November 28, 2008

i became one of those people

Every year after Thanksgiving, my parents, aunts, and uncles would leave my cousins and i to go shopping as early as six or seven in the morning. I thought they were nuts. Why would you wake up early on a day off to go fight crowds and spend money?

Maybe it was because I have never been a big fan of the shopping process. I do love new things, but the lines, the crying children, the trying-on-of-things-that-mostly-didn't-fit, and the money-spending are just not that exciting to me. And doing it in a stressful environment? No thanks. Everyone else can have their fun, if that's what Black Friday was to them. I would stay home and shop later.

So how was it that I found myself standing in a line stretching around the Kohl's parking lot at four o'clock this morning? Though that short time in the chilly pre-dawn was nothing compared to the two-hour line that snaked through women's pajamas, menswear, pots and pans, and shoes to end at the cash register.

What in the world could be worth the madness? Well... fifty percent off pretty much everything. And the fact that I have a Kohl's card and can pay it off in increments. The early bird specials help make it possible for my budget to afford reasonable gifts this year. Combined with the deals we found later at Target, Big Lots, and Michael's (all with less people and practically no more lines as the morning went by), my Christmas shopping is 90% done. Peace of mind? Priceless.

I don't think I'll do it again. Though Sophia said that if she wanted to next year, I had to tag along. Fair enough, since this year's trek was inspired by my lapse in judgement and a moment of irrationality. However, i don't really regret it. It's a twisted American tradition, so it's worth trying at least once.

Tomorrow shall find me in the company of a sewing machine, paint, cards, and other craft supplies. And my pillow. I'm sleeping in.

0 thoughts: