February 21, 2008

newsletter style

There are small blurbs of random things i wanted to share, so consider this an edition of the Mal Weekly?

*************************************

Tuesday night- House of Blues on Sunset- The Myriad and Third Day

GREAT SHOW! Not only was it festive hanging out with Sophia, Lara, and co-workers Jenny and Reba, but the House of Blues is fun and the artists are fantastic. I always forget how much I like The Myriad, and i dropped a hint to Soph that their cd would make a handy birthday gift. Third Day had some new music, but obliged loyal fans with old stuff, too. Experiencing a little praise and worship in a mainstream venue is always nifty. Oh, and a new band, Revive, opened.... they're in from Australia and this was only their second show ever in the U.S.... but they're pretty good. Keep an ear out for Revive. :)

*****************************

Cranky Caller Not So Bad

As the full moon approaches, my offbeat calls increase (I'm so serious. We've documented it. It's weird, but true). A young lady called me yesterday looking for Steve Harvey. She was in such outraged disbelief that i did not know what station or what time she could hear him, that she called back a second time. As she started scolding me, she said, "Don't you listen to anything but your Christian music?? You don't listen to ANY other L.A. stations?!?!" I replied honestly, "Here and there, but I usually listen to cd's." Suddenly her voice got softer as she said, "Oh. You're just like me."
The call ended soon on a friendly note.

***************************

Google for Causes??

My friend, Aaron, introduced me to a phenomenal new website- www.goodsearch.com . Basically, it's a Yahoo-powered search engine, and a portion of the advertising dollars is given to charitable organizations. You can choose which non-profit benefits from your searching, and you can register your church or organization as well. So if everyone in your church uses the site, by the end of the year your church will have a nice check to help with ministry or expenses. Not a bad idea, eh? They also have an option where you can shop online and a percentage of the sale goes to the organization of your choice- without costing you anything extra. It's kind of like UPromise that way. So check it out, tell me what you think! (I'm currently searching for World Vision, by the way.)

********************************

Clover Watch 2008

A couple days after planting, and still no signs of life. I water it with my letter-sealer-sponge-y thing- so it's like gentle raindrops on the soil. I'm contemplating a field trip with Doris Taylor the fuzzy cactus to a window for authentic sunlight (as opposed to fluorescent). However, i'm not sure it matters until there are actual sprouts. Stay tuned for the latest.

***********************************

Adventures a mi Iglesia

Last night at church, I did a headcount during snacktime. Our class consisted only of boys, and rowdy ones at that. I felt intimidated. However, God is good, and once the main catalyst (a boy armed with a gameboy and an attitude) was removed from the class, it all went smoothly. We did not, however, rehearse scenes from the play (again). A few of our actors have been most faithful, know their lines, and are right on track. However, due to sickness and circumstances, others are behind. But such is theater, no? This is God's production and I keep reminding Him (ok, reminding myself) that. We'll push through the next three weeks and it will be ok!!

The light and sound seem to be coming along ok.... waiting for my set crew to START building... and I'm about to create a powerpoint slide show featuring... flannelgraph!! Anyone have any old school flannelgraph of the Easter story? Even the old paper cutouts? Let me know, because i don't think they manufacture them anymore...

Meanwhile, another group at church recreated a scene from GodTube set to "Everything" by Lifehouse- and it was phenomenal. No pressure. ;)

****************************************

Lunar Eclipse!

Did you catch the eclipse last night? It was pretty clear here and neat to see. Pictures would've been cool, but not only was i cameraless, I was driving. ;) I think I'm going to start carrying my camera around everywhere... too many things have been missed or inadequately captured by my phone!

*******************************

Lunch Time!

Off to Sansai for a Cali roll and miso soup with Leah!

1 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Hey Malinda. Skippy lover #2 here. It's so strange how the full moon really does affect people. Our residents go crazy when one is approaching. I should really have a hard hat handy for those days...