March 29, 2008

life is full of crazy sadness

Never a dull moment, eh? I don't even know how to begin this entry.... I guess i can be less than creative and just give you a low-down on recent events.

- Soph's grandpa is in the hospital. He has cancer in his bladder. They did surgery this morning, and now we have to wait until Wednesday for results to know what's next. I'm actually off to the hospital in a just a little bit.

- Soph's grandpa on her dad's side passed away last night. We knew he was sick, but were surprised to get a call late last night to come to the hospital right away... we were there to see him take his last breath. Sophia's lost quite a few relatives this past year, and i know that doesn't ease her concern over her other grandpa now. And since this family has taken me in as one of their own... well, it's just really heartbreaking.

- We're supposed to go to a Clippers game tonight... there's a work event, and so i invited Soph, her mom and stepdad as a "thanks for letting me live at your house" kind of thing. We've been looking forward to it- all of us excited because it's our first professional basketball game- but i'm not sure that we're going due to all that's going on.

- On a more optimistic note, i had a job interview yesterday that looks promising. Should everything work out, i'll be a call center concierge at an upscale shopping/dining/living place just opening down the street from the radio station. It pays well, and it should open the doors for moving out soonly! Of course, it means i'll be working two jobs- about sixty hours a week- so i'll have pretty much no free time. I'm concerned about how it's going to affect church stuff, but i'm just praying for guidance and wisdom. I just want to do whatever it is God wants me to do.... and i'm just very unsure of what that is. Just when i think i've understood the plan, something happens that doesn't make sense. But i keep praying, trying.... it'll all work out, right?

I need to log off here and call my mom. They sent me a dvd of old home videos... they were cute and fun to watch. It was pretty much me and my sister Becca when we were little. Though she was really cute and loveable, and i was obnoxious and all over the place. I have a feeling (from watching and remembering some of it) that it was my natural borderline a.d.d-ness combined with the instructions to perform in front of the video camera... but i couldn't help but notice how many times i was scolded to stop doing something (ok, i MIGHT have been kicking Becca... but they told us to perform our song/dance with the Barbie and the Rockers tape, and she was just spinning in circles watching her new dress! And when they said, "You're not dancing around as much as you usually do", i was just trying to be obedient! hehehehe), but Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa all loved little stuffed-up Rebecca with her pretty dresses and tights. Anyway, it was interesting to match up memories with a more objective point of view. It confirmed that I'm not crazy or remembering things completely through a skewed perspective. But i see now that people were simply reacting to my obnoxiousness. Lesson learned? Love the difficult kids, dang it! They need to be loved, too! Thinking no one really likes them just encourges them to be more difficult!

i think i'm just a bit emotional, and this is becoming whiny. The last thing i want/you need is a whiny blog entry. It's about time for me to drive to the hospital anyway. Pray for this family, guys.... how much loss can anyone take?



P.S. If you're really nice to me (and if i can figure out how to upload the video from the dvd), I'll upload a couple snippets of my childhood. The one of Becca and the cat at Christmas is priceless. And I sing a pretty mean rendition of Barbie and the Rockers.

0 thoughts: