August 06, 2008

overdue!!

So i really did mean to blog on Monday. However, i did update frequently last week, so it evens out, right?

Biggest craziness- last week, our company laid off a large group of people. Everyone was shocked and now sitting uneasy. Though they say they don't anticipate further cutbacks, no one feels secure- not to mention the increased workload to make up for those who aren't here. And, more importantly, we're a pretty close-knit office. Our hearts break for our suddenly-unemployed friends.

Of course, that paragraph would've been more bitter and sarcastic had i written it last week.... but forward we must move, eh? God has a plan, it is good. God is good all the time. (and I'll say it again until my heart is sure).

So my job searching has a little more drive behind it. I still send out a few resume's a day. So far I've only gotten one response for a personal assistant job. I'm waiting for confirmation on a Saturday interview. We'll see what happens!

Saturday I had a very enlightening counseling session with a pastor at church, and my emotionalness was brightened when I got a package in the mail... a crazy awesome book, the sequel to "Stargirl"!! I read it all afternoon... waiting in line at Wal*Mart, waiting for Soph's mom at the mall, in the car, and before I went to bed... and finished it! I loved it!! And it struck a chord.... i know it sounds cheesy but she's got a lot of similarities to me in the "free spirit" department. Though as I've ventured into "adulthood", that spirit is much contained (with depressing results, as you've witnessed). In the book, she's lost a little of her shine, too. And the way she finds to get it back... well, dang it, it made sense. Yay for revelations in young adult fiction.

Also saw "Mamma Mia".... oh-so-cheesy, but fun and silly. Soph and her mom really liked it, so that's what matters. Go Abba. Now i want to see "Dark Knight" and a zillion other movies i'm behind on. Oh, how I miss Blockbuster Online.

This week's project: Amber Alerts. America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response was created in memorium to 9-year-old Amber from Texas who was kidnapped and murdered. Now, by giving the public the information, 336 kids have been found and returned to their families.

What do we do?
- pay attention when you see a posted Amber Alert
- sign up to receive Amber Alerts on your phone or download a webpage ticker (Myspace posts them, too, I think?)
- Don't take it lightly- this kid is somewhere, and it really could be closer than you think. If it were your daughter, your nephew, your little sister or cousin- you would pray that people were looking for them.
www.amberalert.gov


Stargirls shed light.

0 thoughts: