December 11, 2008

exercise

Sometimes when I'm driving, I use the street signs to create the premise for a script.

First I name the protaganist with the first two streets I cross once I've decided to play. Today, I crossed Isabel, then Jackson.

Then the protaganist needs a station in life- occupation, situation, etc. I saw a sign for an open house on Louise when I was at the intersection of Kenwood... so I played with that and decided that Isabel was an in-home caregiver for Louise Kenwood.

I can use as many street signs for clues until my imagination takes off. Longer trips create more detailed stories. Today was quicker, so I decided that my script would be called "Lessons from Louise". Louise is middle-aged and developmentally disabled and showing Isabel the simple truths of truly living life, including encouraging her to fall in love with whatever guy I would've invented had the trip been longer. This would be in conflict with Isabel's contentment/complacency with the simple life she is living. The script, of course, would become some Hallmark or Lifetime movie of the week.

Haha, so it's sort of dorky, but if I'm going to be filling my days with office work, I've got to throw in creative writing exercises somewhere. It makes still feel like some sort of writer.

Just thought i'd share.

0 thoughts: