December 30, 2008

makes up in quality what it lacks in originality

 

My friend, Brooke, wrote a groovy note on facebook about her year in review. I liked it. I'm gonna copy her style (imitation = flattery, no?).

January: Ah, new year optimism. I set a few goals (I won't rehash since it was discussed in a previous entry), and looked forward to 2008, the year I would move ahead from my job at Salem's front desk. In the spirit of bettering self, I began taking a sign language course at the community college (yay free education). I was also happily recording my weekend show on jjradio.com and assistant producing the occasional "From the Heart" segment on KKLA. Being productively busy was a-ok.

February: Still doing all of the above, which still include co-facilitating the Cans for Causes recycling effort at work and operating the video camera at church once a month. Saw Third Day at House of Blues on Sunset. Saw another Valentine's Day pass alone, but with hope in a crush. However, the highlight of the day was the parade the church kids did honoring loving one another. Still working at the front desk.

March: Happy Birthday me! In honor of the day, co-worker friends made me their "special project" and i got a makeover. It was fun. :) Then my friends and I celebrated my 25th year in Hollywood seeing Wicked!! Happy happy happy. This month I was also in the thick of rehearsal for the church Easter play, starring a mostly youth cast. I continued juggling all of the above and starting to feel the craziness, but the adrenaline was still carrying me through the hectic schedule. Discovered a love for basketball during March Madness, and almost got to see a Clippers game- until Sophia's grandpa started getting really sick. We spent the evening at the hospital instead. Still working at the front desk.

April: The adrenaline is starting to wear thin, but at least sign class and the play are successfully over. Pushing forward in a non-eventful month of just keeping up with it all... From the Heart, Cans for Causes, Kids Kingdom, JJ Radio, camera operating, and work fill my time. I realize that an empty calendar just means i'm too busy to write in it. Start playing tennis with the girls at work. Still at the front desk.

May: In attempt to maintain sanity, I begin to cut down on activities. JJ Radio gets the axe. After fulfilling the month's commitment, so does church camera work. However, more time is spent at work learning how to produce commercials and working overtime (seems i don't quite get the point about time management). Despite extra effort, still at the front desk.

June: Loving tennis, producing more, hanging out with crush (though hope will soon die, haha). Life is busy but not so bad. Participate in adopt-a-block in the projects with the Dream Center and have perspective about the inner city forever changed. Still working at front desk....

July: Birthday Luau for Sophia's mom and stepdad! Wildest party, and somehow getting rained out made it better! We spent Independence Day in the mountains with friends, and saw Wicked a second time. I gave blood for the first time in years- and survived. Our company began a wellness program that has since resulted in over $50 of Target cards for me (and more rewards due in coming months). From the Heart is cancelled, and the busyness falls to a dull roar (though I'm still at the front desk....).

August: i think this was the month we had a bunch of layoffs at work. Of course, that's not something you really write on a calendar. Once that happened, the whole climate at work changed and things quit being fun and started being stressful. On a happier note, this month i dogsat for a coworker friend and Soph and I participated in the Redondo Pier chalk contest for the third year (no trophies this time, but still fun!). Also visited Camp Joy for homeless kids- yet another life-changer. And, of course, still working the front desk....

September: Just lots of work- only less of the fun stuff like writing commercials and producing. Instead of working out of the front desk, I found myself buried under it. The coworker in my department left, so there was even more to do.... i kept the sanity by focusing on Kids Kingdom, including our awards ceremony. A friend invited me to an incredibly fancy gala in downtown L.A. for the organization she works for. Amazing!

October: One Sunday, I visited the Huntington Library. A couple Friday's later, I went to dinner with friends. The next Monday was Sophia's birthday. Other than that, lots of work at- you guessed it- the front desk.

November: Though declared NOvember in hopes of cutting down on the insanity, i hopelessly failed the project. The exception being the first week of the month, spent on vacation in San Diego! Way awesome! Also saw Twilight (after spending way too much time in previous months reading the series), and turned in an application for the Director's Guild Assistant Directors' Training Program- and still praying like mad I get in. Started to pull together the church Christmas play, and went shopping on the day after Thanksgiving for the first time ever. Still lots of work, but hope was renewed when I was promoted to an assistant position... only at the front  desk part time!

December: Oh, the joys of the holiday season. Though I squished stress by finishing shopping and gift wrapping early- and creating a good amount of homemade gift projects- the pitfalls of organizing part of a Christmas program made up for the anxiety. An amazing night at Disneyland maintained the magic, and enough Christmas blessings- many non-material and people-centered, brought something sacred back to the holiday. The end of the month finds me battling a wicked cold and, for the moment, juggling both my new assistant position in administration and the front desk that I thought for sure would be history by now.

Thanks to Claudia, who's gift of The Office calendar last year provided the record-keeping notes that helped me keep this straight. Although for perfect accuracy... see previous blogs. :-D

Coming tomorrow.... the non-resolutions, the goals and guidelines for 2009!

0 thoughts: