February 28, 2009

i did it again

I have survived another year. Well, the verdict is technically still out until midnight, but I think my chances are pretty good.

I don't really have much to say about it all... a birthday is a birthday. I love birthdays, but age doesn't really matter to me. I've witnessed spry old ladies dancing for hours and people twice my age who've never experienced the random joys of life. Meanwhile, I've also heard the wisdom of a child and realized there are teenagers who've loved deeper than I have yet. So age schmage.... life goes at its own pace.

That's not to minimize the importance of one's special day. Let's get that clear. If I had the resources, I'd indulge in amazing celebrations for the people I love. I do try to acknowledge your day in some way. When I shake Sallie Mae and her impossible student loan debt off my back, perhaps you shall personally benefit from my imagined extravagance. :) How cool would that be? I think I really could be Stargirl...

So tomorrow..... I'm taking advantage of Disneyland's 2009 free-admission-on-your-birthday promotion. I feel kind of lousy for skipping church, but I'm not the only one going, and that's what everyone else wants to do. And since I'm dragging them to pay for tickets, I will do anything they want. It's going to be fun and I'm easy to please.

Already the weekend has been good. My co-workers are so sweet and thoughtful, and I actually got off work on time Friday night. There have been happy small moments, like putting a baby cousin to sleep and eating cereal while watching the Jetsons and Scooby-Doo this morning. And I am increasingly blessed by my time with Masquer (the theater company) and the amazing people there. Not to mention the awesome people in Ohio and Kentucky who still take the time to keep in touch and not forget about me. If only I could somehow put our two ends of the country closer together, because I miss you all so much.

I wouldn't be honest if I didn't mention that I'm in the poopy depressive down swing of the bipolar cycles. But I'm clinging to the incredibly long list of good things in my life. It's the rope that pulls me out to happiness again. You know, that and Jesus. ;)

0 thoughts: