July 01, 2010

have work, will travel

First week of summer semester, complete! Thankfully, this is an entry level course, so taking it during this accelerated semester works well. It’s super easy, and moving any slower so boring….  Then again, maybe that’s my short attention span shouting through the two-hours-daily class time.

I hardly have any right to complain. Since I haven’t yet received my church keys, i’m working from home most days. Today, I had my fill of sitting on the computer, so I packed up my notebooks, hopped on my bike, and rode to the beach.

I hadn’t been to this local beach before, and it’s been years since I rode a bike any considerable distance. But the adventure proved a little easier than anticipated. True to a friend’s description, this beach is a teeny bit ghetto. A narrow wooden footbridge led away from the beachgoers (why were there only children in the water?) to a rocky shoreline. Waves rolled over round stones with a delightfully soothing, almost musical, clacking noise. I climbed over graffitied rocks and under cliffs of layered rock to find peaceful solitude. Perched atop a stone barrier, I overlooked the water and worked on a piece of copy for the radio station. And I couldn’t help but think that no matter how hard they tried, no punk can spray paint the ocean.

cabrillo

Thanks to fresh air, sunlight, sand, and even a nice patch of grass, I finished a major project for church. Thanks to the bike, I exercised and saved gas (and my rockstar parking spot in front of our apartment). This is a beautiful, beautiful arrangement.

0 thoughts: