July 15, 2010

long distance phone call

The other day I called Mamaw (paternal grandmother) to wish her happy birthday. Part of me felt a little guilty that the wishes were belated (in all fairness, it’s tricky to match my west coast schedule with her east coast time zone), but the other part of me isn’t sure that she cared. I’m also not certain the extent of her memory loss.

Mamaw seems to remember the long-term stuff much better than the short-term. At least, pertaining to phone conversations I have with her. I don’t interact with her on a daily basis, and I haven’t been back to Ohio in a couple of years. Sometimes I wonder if she even remembers that we’ve talked at all, and if it even matters that I call.

This particular conversation took the usual cycle- what we’ve done lately, when did I plan to visit, the weather… followed by what we’ve done lately, when did I plan to visit, the weather…. and again what we’ve done lately, when did I plan to visit, the weather… interspersed with slight variations, including Mamaw singing a few bars of an old hymn I didn’t recognize. However, I did recognize that moments like that are precious. I would not forget them.

I was careful not to tell the dog to be quiet this time. During our last conversation, she kept forgetting that I live with a dog now:
me: Yes, I’m hoping to visit in September…. Oh, Tootsie, quit barking at the neighbors!
Mamaw: Why are you calling me Tootsie? haha!

This time, she told me how she celebrated her birthday- with dinner at Cracker Barrel. She remember those events of a few days ago. They were important moments with her family. That’s when I figured that even though she didn’t remember the content of our conversation, I was pretty sure she would not forget that I called. The weather didn’t matter. Neither did my latest version of a busy schedule, or what she did today. What counts is the time connected by a cell phone signal, defying time zones and distance to bring together grandmother and granddaughter.

I told her I missed Cracker Barrel. She said we’ll go when I’m there in September- she’ll start saving her money, she said with a laugh. After we hung up, I decided that I was dragging her to that dear old country restaurant, whether or not she remembers why. A dinner with my Mamaw is long overdue.

1 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

The last phone call I had with my grandpa was similar to yours. I had to explain who I was and I don't think he ever figured it out. But I could tell he was happy to hear from one of his grandchildren even if he didn't know which one it was!