July 30, 2010

just a short walk away

Running errands on foot (or bike) is now my preferred method. It burns calories instead of gasoline! And today’s usual bank/post office trip included a bonus- the San Pedro farmer’s market.

Since i’m definitely an atm girl, I have never noticed the front of the bank building. Apparently, they have been here a long time.

farmers market 005

Side note for non-Californians- I know it seems odd that old buildings are of any interest. But so many things around here are modern and new. It’s refreshing to see older architecture and know that parts of town were here so many long years ago. Sometimes it reminds me of the old buildings in Greenville, OH (where I lived during a good part of childhood).

The post office also has that old-school charm. I imagine how this port town used to be back in the day…

farmers market 006 farmers market 008 farmers market 010 farmers market 012 Just out the window, you see the harbor and the incoming cargo ships…

Circling back a few blocks closer to home, I finally experienced the weekly farmer’s market.

farmers market 016For $13, I got two huge, tasty peaches, two large ears of corn, a bag of green beans, and some strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries… and all fresh and locally grown. With the exception of carrots, it seems like we can get all of our produce here instead of at the grocery. Next week, I will probably get a bouquet of fresh flowers, too. :)

farmers market 019 farmers market 017 farmers market 018  Additionally, there were food vendors (I think I’m going to try a Peruvian dish next week), live music, and some crafters. Win!

Of course, after feeling all economical and artsy, I jumped in my car and hung out with a friend at the mall…

0 thoughts: