June 15, 2008

the green entry

Today's blog is written from Sophia's room, as I eat popcorn and watch the Laker game. Everyone else is out, so i'm enjoying the quiet and trying to get productive. Meanwhile, everytime the commercial for Wendy's Frosty shakes comes on, i really think the ice cream truck is out the window... they use the same song as our neighborhood guy. That amuses me.

I read this book yesterday about "green" things you can do that are not only not expensive, but might save/earn you money in the long run. Of course, i felt frustrated by most of them, because they ARE really expensive and not possible for everyone- if you're not a homeowner, if you can't afford a hew hybrid car, that kind of thing. But i didn't come away completely empty-handed. When i DO have my own place, i know what decisions to make (like the flourescent energy saving light bulbs, and smart power strips that reduce phantom energy load). And it encouraged me in my war against plastic bags.

I alwasy knew plastic bags were not great, but recently my eyes were opened to exactly how horrible they are. They are everywhere, only to get thrown away, and eventually end up in the ocean- harmful to the water and to wildlife. There is not one good thing about plastic bags.... ok, maybe convenience, but that's it. So i invested into the reusable cloth bags at Walmart, Target, and Trader Joes. They only cost a dollar, and you can use them over and over again. I spent a five dollar gift card at Amazon.com and got a reusuable lunch tote- it's a cute, little, insulated purple bag, and after lunch just folds up in my purse. I love it. I just haven't figured out about trash bags.... where else can you put your trash? Or Jolie's used litter? (and no, until i move out, i can't use the all-natural litter... long story, but bottom line is that the people i live with don't like the smell).

The biggest contributor to my carbon footprint (i know, i know... cheesy phrase, but it's true) is my commute. Combine that with the fact that it now costs me over $60 a week in gas, and we have a major problem. The literal truth is that unless there is some kind of miracle, by the end of the month i won't be able to afford the drive to my workplace. I've cut back as much as I possible can, but it's not enough. So on Friday, at the encouragement of a co-worker, I took the train.

It wasn't all-together unpleasant. I could be happy taking the train often, except for a few minor details:

1. Cost- the cost of a five-day pass, plus parking at the train station is $60- exactly the same as gas (which we've already established is above my means)

2. It takes long to take public transportation. The full two-trains-and-a-bus trip from my house to my job takes more than an hour and a half. I would have to leave my house at 6:30a and return by 7:50p. That's a long day.... and even then, i was five minutes late on Friday....

3. There's no room for error or flexibility. We all know my life is crazy. I'm partly responsible for a recycling program at work that benefits charity. This often involves transporting bags of bottles and cans at a moments notice. Sure enough, this was the case on Friday (we came up w/ a quick fix, but not a solution we could repeat). But that's small change compared to what happened next...... I am not able to leave work at the end of the day until a number of our advertisers recieve their schedule for the next day. And on Friday's, this means the schedule for the weekend and Monday. Sometimes, they come late. Other times, they come VERY late- and very late they were on Friday. So late that i missed the last bus to the train station.... leaving me stranded 25 miles from home without a car. Sophia wins "roommate of the year" for driving all that way to pick me up at a moment's notice.

All this to say..... well, i'm trying. I want to be more environmentally responsible. I want to be wise with my finances. It's good stewardship, right? But geez, can't a girl get a break?

I think i've said enough for today. It's the fourth quarter and the Lakers are up by fourteen (but can they hold on to that??). I need to upload some pictures from my camera, balance my checkbook, and change my laundry in twenty minutes. And now you're updated.

0 thoughts: