June 26, 2008

unloading

What a week... Never a dull moment!

Cali Grandpa's doing pretty well. :) The surgery went well and he's out of ICU. Still waiting to hear a definite report on if the cancer spread or not, as well as his kidneys. Thanks for your prayers! Aging does not sound like fun.

This morning, at the recycling center, I drove a forklift. It was fun. The guy there laughed at me for being nervous (though i reminded him that HE should be nervous since I'd never done this before and their facility was at risk). But it turns out, after you get used to how to handle it, it's much easier than a car- more precise.





Also today, I produced two thirty-second commercials... 95% on my own. My friend Shelly volunteered me to produce with a lot more confidence than I have, so i guess I'm jumping into trial by fire. So far so good... not perfect and still needing work, but I'm on my way. And it's fun. :)

Claudia sent me phone videos of storms. It made my day. I miss her.

Keeping up with everything has just been overwhelming. I have a lot of extra projects at work... trying to move up and out in more ways than one! I'm officially done with media ministry (i.e. recording the sermon at church), and as much as I kind of miss JJ Radio, Friday nights are less stressful. Last night my two actors for the patriotic play at church bailed. Part of me is frustrated, part of me is disappointed, yet another part of me feels like I failed, and then there's the part of me that is incredibly relieved that I don't have to rush to get everything ready and running smoothly. Instead of a stressful last-minute rehearsal, I will be volunteering with the Dream Center Saturday morning.

But the disappointed part of me is going to post the script.... if anything, you can imagine it. The performance might be even better in your mind than in reality. ;)

Letters Home- by me

Two actors- young men of approximately the same age- on a pretty bare stage (a few props). One is a modern-day soldier, the other is Jesus. The letters are read by an off-stage narrator, the same age as the actors. Actors silently mime during the voiceover.



Lights up

(Soldier is in boot camp, Jesus tempted in the desert)

Dear Dad-

So this is the beginning of my service… I can’t say that it’s easy, but I keep remembering why I’m here. When it’s over, I’ll be stronger and ready for any mission. Though most of the time here I’ve felt pretty weak, tired, and even a little hungry. When the challenges come, it’s tough- but I remember everything you taught me. That helps me stay strong, and helps me get through. Soon I’ll be out of here, and I’m excited about what’s ahead! Pray for me, Dad.

(Soldier lays brick, Jesus heals the sick, both interact with a child)

Dear Dad-

Things are going pretty great here. My first mission is less combat and more humanitarian work- making life better for the people who live here. The other day, I hung around with some local kids. That was the best! They were so happy and made me laugh… one little girl sat on my lap and put her head on my shoulder. Dad, that just melted my heart. I pray the work I’m doing here means these kids will be blessed and safe as they grow up…

(Soldier waits for attack and dodges bullets, Jesus argues with a Pharisee and dodges stoning. )

Hey Dad-

Things have taken a rough turn since my last letter. The humanitarian missions are now mixed with small battles. But don’t worry, it’s nothing I can’t handle- thanks to all my training. Some of the local leaders just don’t like our work here, and they won’t be convinced we’re here for them, too. The enemy is a hassle for sure. But I keep praying and reminding myself “Greater is He that’s in me than he that’s in the world”. I’ll keep standing strong, Dad. I won’t let you down.

(Soldier and Jesus- on their separate sides of the stage- mime being beaten)


Dad-

Wow. Where do I being to describe the past week? This is the worst battle I’ve ever faced. The enemy closed in on every side and began launching an intense attack. I used all my training- and yes, lots of prayer- to try to hold them back and protect the other guys in my group. But in the end, well, I ended up here- in enemy camp. They’re brutal, Dad… they’ve beat me, mocked me, spit in my face… then actually expected answers during interrogation. When I thought my body couldn’t take any more, they beat me again. Dad, I feel so weak… so broken.
(Both sit in pain, fatigue, and fear)

Later today I’m going to be executed. Killed. I won’t lie- Dad, I’m scared. But even so, I wouldn’t turn back. I’m glad you encouraged me to do this. I know I’m a piece in a much bigger plan. And I will gladly give my life for the people we love. Because it means they’ll have hope, better lives- for me to die means they’ll be free.
(Soldier kind of curls up and puts head down, Jesus is on the cross... with final words, lights go down)

I hope I made you proud, Dad. I know you’ll take care of mom and remind her how much I love her. And don’t worry- I’ll see you soon.

I love you.

Always, your son



Lights up, revealing American flag on soldiers side, empty cross on Jesus' side.









Maybe we'll do it next year. We'll see. With everything else going on... who knows?

0 thoughts: