June 04, 2008

i get it

I just read a devotional about faith and the "power of positive thinking". The article pointed out something i already believed- that positive thinking has limited power. Reality is not altered by the electric sparks and chemicals in the squishy organ trapped in our skulls. But then, there is faith.

Faith is not a thought process bound by physical bodies, it's something greater than ourselves operated by our souls and God. While that sets it above mere thoughts, that alone does not cause things to happen.

Faith is a tool, a means, a necessary piece of the plan. Ultimately, it is the hand of God that allows or causes things to happen. Many times He involves us in the process- almost like a parent guiding a child through a school project or learning how to ride a bike or play baseball. And that's where faith comes in. Sometimes God tells us to do something that doesn't make sense to our limited experience or rational. But we've got to trust Him, we MUST believe what we can't see. That allows us to take the next step, for for God to carry out His plan and the great work He has in mind.

More and more I'm observing that God has an amazing imagination. Lack of faith limits the possibilities. I'm struggling with faith right now in the area of career and finances. What I see is that i'm sitting in the exact same chair i've been in for more than two years- as if I've set up camp at a stepping stone job. I can't afford rent and live at the mercy of adopted relatives. My reasoning says this is bad and needs to be changed. So I've done everything I can think of to change it. The result? I'm still sitting in the same exact chair... yeah, you know the rest.

So if I apply this idea of faith- not a power of it's own, but a necessary catalyst for God's work in my life- what does that mean practically? I think it means I take one day at a time, applying my best effort to the opportunities that the Lord provides, and immersing myself in His Word, praise and worship, His presence in order to clearly hear and understand His next round of instructions. Let's test this theory, shall we? I'll keep you posted.

***********************************

Meanwhile, I'm running on little sleep and a lot of sugar-free vanilla iced coffee from McDonald's. I worked until 11:30 last night, then up again to be here at my usual time this morning. Tonight's church involves playing guitar for the kids (something I haven't done in a long time) and tie-dying with the 4th-8th graders to demonstrate the concept of hope (you know, hoping your t-shirt comes out beautifully, and not like a rainbow threw up... and next week is faith, since they won't get their finished shirts until then). Basically, that whole explanation to say that i'm exhausted, have a lot to do today, and if this entry has typos, grammatical errors, or makes little sense, that could be why.

Kwaheri. Ninakupenda.

1 thoughts:

becca said...

i like your relating hope to tie-dye. v. creative ;) once, someone described my hair as looking like a rainbow threw up. i was in the middle of an identity crisis at the time. haha. love you.