September 29, 2008

extended weekend

Too bad this couldn't be a long weekend. Instead, today almost doesn't exist. "Yay" for nauseating migraines that dissolve the day into nothing more than a dream-filled marathon nap.

The actual weekend was pretty nifty, though. The ChildShare gala was amazing. I was late getting there after navigating the one-way streets of downtown Los Angeles, but once I got to the California Club, it was like stepping into an old movie. The high ceilings were ornately carved in intricate designs. The carpet and the curtains were red and gold. The tables danced in candlelight, seated with men in tuxedos and black ties, and women in beautiful dresses and sparkling jewelry. And it was all a benefit to raise money for this organization that finds home for kids in need.

We had fun at our table. My friend who invited me for some reason stuck me between herself and her husband. Despite the great awkwardness potential, I was glad to get to know him a little better. There was a lot of laughter among the whole table, which included another lady I knew through my ChildShare friend, my friend Lara and her husband, and three ladies who were sign interpreters. I wished I were more fluent in their quick sign. I only understood tidbits here and there... but it was fun. Add sign language fluency back to my perpetual to-do list...

I wore a simple black dress and black heels (thank you, Kohl's card, for bailing me out again. Note: must NOT make a habit of using this, despite the incredible deals). I had a silver chain that was shaped into different-sized stars and silver bangle bracelets. Soph and I tried to curl my hair (when will we ever learn?), and when it was obvious it wasn't going well, her mom and aunt stepped in. The three of them curled, sprayed, pinned, and with the final touch of Sophia's butterfly barrette, I was read to go. Sadly, I'm not satisfied with the pictures we hurriedly snapped, so I'm not posting them. Your imagination is probably more flattering anyway.

I didn't so much feel like a fish-out-of-water but for a few moments. My friends are remarkably down-to-earth, despite colorful lives of super-mom-sign-interpreter or radio-personality-married-to-tv-producer, which is one of the many reasons i love them. I did have to laugh as I waited for the valet to bring my car (free valet parking- maybe the first and only time i experience THIS luxury). I waited with the fancy-dressy men and women who just moments before were bidding thousands of dollars on the charity auction as their Lexus' (Lexi?), Mercedes', and Audi's pulled up. Then appeared my dirty Cavalier with the busted front license plate. I had to hide my chuckle as I claimed my vehicle. And I do admit those moments driving downtown, I envied my married friends whose husbands safely drove....

So yes, great fun. Also included in the weekend: teachers' appreciation luncheon at church, change in Christmas play plans, an afternoon at Boomer's with teen-boy-cousins, and the low-key season premiere of Desperate Housewives. Today i finished the last book in the "Twilight" series. And can anyone believe it's almost October?

0 thoughts: