April 02, 2009

four pillows, a laptop, and a turtle

I love that my grandma texts now. While a phone conversation would be better, time zone and schedule differences make that difficult. Texting, however, is a happy thing.

Good news on the work front! I got a semi-promotion! I am officially a copywriter in addition to my HR duties. Once I moved from the front desk, I no longer had time to write (most of my writing was done extra-curricularly anyway). Now, I will divide my regular work day into five hours of administrative tasks and three hours of writing. I am quite happy. It’s on a trial basis for now, but I’m quite optimistic.

Ironically, now that I am looking forward to something about work, I am not there. Thanks to some mysterious cause (I am starting to wonder about my recent time on the exercise equipment at the park), my lower back is out of sorts. Sitting hurts. Standing hurts. Walking hurts. In fact, there are a lot of things that hurt that I never knew were possible. I tried to ignore it and work through yesterday. After all, the last time this happened it only took a day of rest followed by a day of taking it slow, and I was back in the saddle. Apparently, sitting in my car for an hour-long commute was the straw that broke this busy gal’s back.

So after painfully hobbling around the office as if I were old enough to retire, I called a chiropractor. And while that decision was made out of desperation, it was the best decision ever. Not only did I walk out of there feeling MUCH better (emphasis on the ability to walk comfortably!), but i really liked their friendly office, down to the cool gadgets and pet turtles. I felt 85% better, and figured the rest would follow in the next day or so.

But, long story short, I’m at home today, doing what I can to get some kind of work done despite being on my back propped up between pillows. Though at the moment, I’m actually quite comfortable. I thank the prescription pain pills Sophia’s stepdad shared with me….

Hopefully, tomorrow’s follow-up appointment with the chiropractor will smooth it all out. Especially since Sunday begins tech week for the play, and we open next Friday! It’s gonna be fantastic. :)

0 thoughts: