January 13, 2009

bean dip does not dinner make

 

And yet, i chow down....

So I had the best weekend ever. It started early Saturday morning at a groovy diner-type restaurant in Echo Park. I met some friends for breakfast.... one close friend, one new friend, and a couple I love spending time with, and from whom I have so much to learn. After breakfast, we drove down the street to the Dream Center to spend some time passing out food somewhere downtown. I say somewhere because we rode in the back of the food truck, without really being able to see where we were headed...

My job at the food site was to place two eggplants in plastic bags. The eggplants were added to the other produce and canned goods, and people walked down the sidewalk taking one of each bagged item(s). My eggplant station was completed by two regular volunteers around my age, and a nine-year-old who was there with her family to get food, and was happy to help. We laughed as she tried to encourage one of the regulars to speak Spanish- in her own sassy way. Once we ran out of eggplant, i moved to the next station to help another regular volunteer- this time a woman in her late fifties or so- fill bags with lettuce. I overheard a coordinator say about 250 people were there to get food. Sometimes the amount of need in our city is astounding....

Before we boarded the truck (now filled with empty boxes and spilled grits on the floor), I got to meet Pastor Matthew Barnett and his wife, Caroline. i am impressed that the leader of a large, nationally-known church is involved in the basic levels of ministry. His wife started the food truck program after taking a couple bags of groceries to a needy family some years ago. They're pretty neat people- very down-to-earth with a genuine heart for people.

Our ride back to the Dream Center was bumpy and wild- most of us ended up on the floor! Thankfully, a pile of grits cushioned by fall, haha.

i want to go back.

Before our little group headed our separate ways, we walked to a laundromat/Subway/Starbucks (random, eh?). I had the greatest time just chatting with the incredible people I am blessed to know.

That would've been enough to complete weekend awesomeness. But there was another event waiting...

I received an email on Friday night about auditions for a theater ministry in Anaheim. Somehow, I ended up on their mailing list. The auditions were scheduled for Sunday, but the short notice was made bearable by no preparation required, as it was a group audition. I decided, "why not?" and drove to Anaheim Sunday afternoon.

The audition in itself was a surprise blessing. I knew I missed being involved in theater, but i didn't realize how much. Yes, i've been doing drama ministry at church, but it's not the same as being involved in an established company. What i'm doing right now at church is pulling together what I can so God can work last-minute miracles. And while I hope to grow into something to be taken more seriously, I need some real theater now. And I found it in Anaheim.

It was a bit nerve-wracking to not know anyone (because they all knew each other), but I encountered theater people. And theater people are the same across the board... creative, individual, and, in this case, welcoming. Hanging out while waiting for our turn to perform was not as awkward as it could've been. I was welcomed into the group. :) Which made the audition part a bit easier.

I sang in front of the director and music director- a scale to see range and a verse of Amazing Grace. Though a bit nervous, not too bad. The dance part was, thankfully, a group activity. And pretty simple- grapevines, jazz square, that kind of thing. The cold reads were fun. I like cold reads. And oh how I miss acting. Holy cow.... They also did a quick "interview" just to get to know who I was, being new and all.

So I'm in! I don't know what I'll be doing, but I'm happy backstage, in the chorus, or any role they deem fitting. There are three shows- Easter, Christmas, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in between. And don't worry, you'll all have notice of how you can attend. ;)

Now if only I didn't have this pesky job to distract me from real life. hehe

And no, I don't mean that. As stressful things have been at work, that stress makes me feel secure that i will keep my job. And with this economy, I count myself blessed to be employed.

Though I am considering that island caretaker job in Australia.

0 thoughts: